05 January 2009

The Universe guided me to the floor

I decided to do one of those things wherein you let The Universe(tm) guide your actions in life by asking It to give you a sign as to the direction your life should go.

Over the years I have met many actors who had been guided by The U to become actors, but I've not yet met a accountant or a librarian or a packaging company account executive who was similarly guided in their paths. Although, to be fair, they may just not be as vocal about it.

Anyway I was in the library (because my life is action-packed like that) and asked T.U. to lead me to a book that would lead the rest of my life. I wandered, then blindly stuck out a hand and grabbed a book.

"The Complete Book of Floor Coverings -- a guide to buying and installing carpet, tile, and linoleum" by Robert Y. Ellis.

Hmmm. The last floor-related issue in my life involved the concrete floor that we had laid down on the first floor of our house. Is Uni telling me that we should've gone with carpet, tile, or linoleum? Are there terrible spiritual consequences to having a concrete floor? But, Universe! It's so easy to clean!

Perhaps I'm being too literal. Floor. The base. The foundation on which you stand. You need to think about the ground on which you are standing. You can only jump off from there. Is it firm? Is it solid? Is it teetering on the edge of a plunge into blackness? Is it carpet, tile, or linoleum?

Very deep, Verse-Man. I'll have to ruminate on it.

No comments: