05 November 2006

Greatest Story Description EVER

There was a movie on cable yesterday called "Mother Knows Best" (1997), starring Joanna Kerns, Christine Elise, Grant Show, and Jessica Walter.

First of all, that's a great TV movie cast, because it's made up entirely of TV people we all know and probably like. Even if the movie sounds unappealing, you may say "But I'd like to see Joanna Kerns again, so I'll tune in." TV actors get to be our TV friends, and there is real pleasure in catching up with them again, even in a goofy TV movie.

Secondly, this is what the movie is about, according to the TIVO description:
A woman finds a husband for her daughter, then decides he's not good enough and must be killed.

I'm not being snide when I say that that makes me want to see the movie. The wonderful thing about this description is that you could give it to five different writers and get five wildly different movies, any of which could be good: Thriller, Black Comedy (starring Bette Midler, in 1988), Murder Mystery, Psychological Drama, Horror (if the husband lived on as a zombie, preferably played by present day Patrick Swayze).

I couldn't watch the actual movie, unfortunately, so I can't tell you whether it's good or not.

No comments: