22 May 2006

"ABC" by the Jackson 5

Michael Jackson is the ultimate test of the question, "can I separate the art from the artist? Can I go to my co-worker's swank party even though he's an arrogant prick who doesn't need more sops to his ego? Can I accept that branch of my relatives even though they're dopey and dull? Can I buy a Starbucks latte without worrying about fair trade and Third World farmers?" These are the conundrums of daily life.

The Jacksons are a family of greedy, waxen, manipulative liars. Not a nice thing to say, but molesting poor kids and fleeing to Bahrain is not a nice thing to do. ("Allegedly!", as Kathy Griffin would add.) How utterly unfair that they possess musical genius.

I can't figure out how their music (the stuff they've done both individually and collectively) can express such effortless joy and warmth when they themselves express the opposite.

"ABC"is pure joy. I feel lucky to be alive when I hear it. Isn't that a son of a bitch?

Maybe the Jacksons need to put the love into their songs because that's the only place they can find it. Maybe music is in their tell-tale hearts. Maybe they're just lucky assholes.

Other joyous Jackson songs:

"Someone to Call My Lover“ -- Janet
"I Want You Back" -- the 5
"PYT (Pretty Young Thing)“ -- Michael

It's the Jacksons, if you're nasty.

No comments: