12 June 2006

"The Station Agent", written and directed by Thomas McCarthy

This is a movie about the following people in a little town: a little person who just wants to be alone; a guy who is very gregarious and mans a roach coach; and an accident-prone woman with marriage problems. Also, a librarian. And a bar. And trains. Oh, and a girl who really wants the little person train aficionado to give a speech to her classmates about trains. And that's it.

Like, what the fuck? That's your story? Are you kidding me with this, McCarthy?

Yet I got so hopelessly wrapped up in these people and their lives that I had to turn the frigging movie off at one point and walk away from it for a few hours because I was too stressed out to keep watching. I convinced myself that this was going to be one of those indie downers that thinks it's being profound by being depressing, and I couldn't bear to watch it happen to these nice people.

And what was I so worked up about? What were the earth-shattering stakes in the lives of these characters that caused me such anxiety? What terrifying outcome was I desperate to avoid?

I was afraid that they wouldn't stay friends.

THAT'S IT. I mean, that's all. There is nothing bigger or more movie-rrific. No one climbs to the top of the Empire State Building to either swat at planes or meet Tom Hanks. No one throws the Emperor into a pit. No one has, in fact, been dead all along. The stakes are: will they hang out together on a porch sometime in the future drinking lemonade and shooting the breeze, or won't they. Jesus, God, let them decide to do it!!

GodDAMN, McCarthy! That's great moviemaking.

There are many perfectly nuanced and insightful moments in this frigging fragging movie, but one of my favorites -- SPOILER AHEAD! -- is when the train guy does finally give the speech to the girl's class. Aw, I can't bear to ruin it for you, but let's just say that it shows those phony "stand on your desk and salute your teacher" movies for what they really are. Not every moment in life becomes a stand up and cheer Moment, and thank god, because that'd be more exhausting than church.

No comments: